AGGREGATE & QUARRY ASSOCIATION
Every year the QuarryNZ Conference holds an Awards night to celebrate success across the Industry.
MIMICO ENVIRONMENT & COMMUNITY AWARD
The industry sponsored MIMICO Environmental & Community Award annually recognises excellence within the aggregate industry for outstanding examples of environmental effects mitigation, rehabilitation, positive community engagement, emissions reduction, or other environmental work.
MIMICO 2022 Award:
Does your company have an initiative that protects the environment and / or supports a community?
- $3,000 prize up for grabs
- Whether it’s a big or small project, you should consider entering
- If you are doing your bit for the environment – let us know
- It’s easy to do – just complete the one-page entry form and get the General Manager or CEO to sign it off
- All finalists will receive publicity including written material, promotion at the QuarryNZ 2022 Conference in New Plymouth, as well as feature on the AQA website.
Full details can be found in the MIMICO Environment & Community Award brochure.
All entries and supporting information must be received by Friday 27th May 2022.
2021 MIMICO Award Winner – Blackhead Quarries Ltd
Bernie Napp, MIMICO Award judge, said Blackhead Quarries won through being the first quarry in the country to use an electric truck. The 30 tonne truck, imported from China, costs about $4 a day to run, carting 600 tonnes of aggregate at the Logan Point Quarry in Dunedin, as opposed to burning 80-90 litres of diesel.
The Institute of Quarrying NZ Awards are a conference highlight and amongst others, cover categories including:
- Winstone Aggregates Safety Award – judged on who is best meeting a wide range of H & S criteria
- Southern Cross Engineering – Roctech Innovation Award – $3,500 award for someone to develop innovations that can assist quarrying
- Lyn Jordan Memorial Trophy for best technical paper
- BR Webster Family Educational Scholarship – towards tertiary or practical learning studies
- WorkSafe Chief Inspector Safety Leadership Award
Entries are required by May 31 each year, other than Winstones Safety Award which needs to be in by April 20 each year. Any IOQ member can nominate another IOQ member. Nominations should include some background information about the person: current job description, a mini version CV. Entries to email@example.com and details on IOQ website
NZ QUARRYING AND MINING AWARDS
Read here for more information on the 2019 Award winners.
MORE LIKE THIS
ABOUT QUARRYING IN NEW ZEALAND
Aggregates are the most consumed bulk product in the world after water. New Zealand uses 9-10 tonnes of aggregate every year for each adult and child.
To build an average house, you need about 250 tonnes of aggregate - for use in concrete, asphalt, mortar and building products.
The quarry industry is committed to working alongside local communities and follows stringent planning, environmental and operating conditions.